We Care About Elephants
The happiness and welfare of all of our animals is our highest priority. We strongly believe that the Asian elephants at the Saint Louis Zoo get the best of care for so many reasons:
- We are accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA), which has high standards for animal care. Our Zoo’s elephant program meets and exceeds the elephant care industry’s written guidelines for elephant husbandry and care.
- We are managing and breeding elephants responsibly under the guidance of North America’s Zoo elephant care experts, the AZA Species Survival Plan, with the long-term goal of maintaining elephants in Zoos into the future.
- The Zoo has a highly trained and devoted elephant care team. This team includes managers and caretakers who have devoted their lives and careers to the care of the elephants. Our highly dedicated staff is on call to care for the elephants round-the-clock.
- Our Zoo has several expert veterinarians who have achieved board specialty certification by the American College of Zoological Medicine, specializing in the care and medical needs of exotic wildlife, including elephants.
- Our 10 elephants enjoy an enriching social life. Every elephant has interactions with our male and with other females in their herd. Also, our elephant herds include elephants of every age class, allowing enriching and stimulating social and learning interactions within the herds each and every day. The elephants at the Saint Louis Zoo have a state-of-the-art home and complex habitats.
- Each elephant has his/her own specialized custom care, exercise, training and nutritional program. The diets for the elephants are carefully calculated and nutritionally-balanced by our Zoo’s professional nutritionist.
We are gravely concerned about the future of Asian elephants in the wild. As few as 35,000 Asian elephants remain in the wild. This is of critical concern. We all need to work together to reverse the critical decline of the wild population.
Through the International Elephant Foundation, the Saint Louis Zoo is partnering with other zoos around the world to support wild Asian elephants and their fragile habitat. We financially support elephant care and conservation projects in both Sumatra and Sri Lanka. Please consider joining us in the cause to conserve these elephants by supporting organizations that are taking direct action to save this species.