OLD WORLD MONKEYS - PRIMATES
- GnRH Agonists - Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone Agonists are considered the safest reversible contraceptives, but dosages and duration of efficacy are not well established for all species; males may require higher doses. Side effects are generally similar to those associated with gonadectomy, especially the potential for weight gain unless diet is controlled.
• Suprelorin® (deslorelin) Implants (F or M)
• Lupron® Depot Injection (F or M)
- MGA implant (F)
- Depo-Provera® injection (F) 2.5-5 mg/kg body wt. at 45-90 day intervals throughout breeding season.
No deleterious effects noted, although caution is suggested with progestin use
Research and Monitoring
- Chart sexual swelling in species for which it applies
- Surveillance for deleterious effects
• Contraception Annual Survey
• Tissue Submission Form – Pathology
• Adverse Reactions Report
THE USE OF ANY CONTRACEPTIVE IN NON-DOMESTIC ANIMALS IS CONSIDERED EXPERIMENTAL
(M=MALE-DIRECTED, F=FEMALE-DIRECTED METHOD)