PROSIMIANS - PRIMATES
- MGA Implant (F) - Ideally, to minimize progestin exposure, insert 1 month before the breeding season and remove 1 month after end of breeding season
• Based on earliest and latest breeding dates; e.g., Eulemur macaco, E. fulvus, & Lemur catta: insert in early Sept., remove end of June; Varecia: insert Nov., remove in May.
- Depo-Provera® injection (F) - 5 mg/kg body wt. at 45-day intervals throughout breeding season.
- GnRH Agonists - Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone Agonists are considered the safest reversible contraceptives, but dosages and duration of efficacy are not well established for all species. Side effects are generally similar to those associated with gonadectomy, especially the potential for weight gain unless diet is controlled.
• Suprelorin® (deslorelin) Implants (F or M)
• Lupron® Depot Injection (F or M)
Depo-Provera is associated with weight gain and possible masculinization of females, e.g., in dichromatic species, female may take on aspects of male coloration.
Research and Monitoring
THE USE OF ANY CONTRACEPTIVE IN NON-DOMESTIC ANIMALS IS CONSIDERED EXPERIMENTAL
(M=MALE-DIRECTED, F=FEMALE-DIRECTED METHOD)