Nightly, October 17-30, 2014
5:30 to 8:30 p.m.
Come explore the Zoo after dark during the special Halloween evenings: Boo at the Zoo Nights! This non-scary, kid-friendly Halloween experience is filled with laughs and adventure. Children are encouraged to wear costumes. Children 12-and-under will receive a treat bag upon exiting. Boo at the Zoo Nights is not a trick-or-treating experience.
- $6/member; $7/non-member; children under 2 are free; $1 discount for children 2 to 12 in costume
- Parking is free! Our treat. South Lot only. (North Lot and North Entrance will be open on select nights: Oct. 17, 18, 24, 25, 30.)
- No reservations necessary.
- Purchase tickets online, by phone at (314) 646-4771, or at the door on night of the event. Discounts do not apply when purchasing tickets online or by phone.
- The Zoo's wheelchair, stroller and ECV rental fees apply for this event.
Groups of 15 or more may receive a group rate of $6 per person by calling in advance. (Costume discount does not apply for group ticket purchases.) To order group tickets, call (314) 646-4718 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Tickets must be ordered by 11 a.m. on the day of your visit.
Spooktacular Fun for Families
- Haunted Hollow with creepy caverns and sinister swamps beware!
- Float around the Zoo's dramatically decorated grounds.
- Entering the Zoo could be tricky to do if you get caught in Master Weaver's giant web!
- The haunted house with singing witch "shutters" with fear.
- Flit and frolic in Fragile Forest Fairyland.
- Floating busts have many spooks to sing about!
- Follow bats, cats, gnats and more on your way to the Children's Zoo.
- Dance along to the pumpkin's choral melody.
- Meander through the mystery straw maze.
- Make a creepy craft to take home at the Kid's Craft Corner in Lakeside Cafe.
- Look hauntingly good as you stick your face into bodies of a ghost, Frankenstein or mummy for a spooky photo.
At Emerson Children's Zoo, catch sight of the meerkat bandits, observe the owl keeping his night watch... and don't be alarmed if you discover the naked mole rats have left their costumes at home!
Swing by the stage at 6, 7 or 8 p.m. for a "Halloween Hank's Pirate Adventure" stage show featuring animals performing natural behaviors.
Gather 'round the fire as storytellers like Terry Rantula spin wild tales about snakes, spiders and bats. Perhaps Grandmother Goose will share chronicles of other Missouri critters. Come wag your wild tails, gaze with your glowing eyes and perk up your listening ears as you hear captivating animal stories.
The Legend of Not-So-Sleepy Hollow
Hooo's asleep when the sun goes down? Join Ichabod "Crowned" Crane on a guided tour through Not-So-Sleepy Hollow at the Zoo. Meet some of the sleepy and not-so-sleepy residents and hear about the not-so-spooky legends that keep the residents on their toes. Will the Headless Hootsman appear during your visit? Don't be afraid to join the fun on this special trip through the Herpetarium, Big Cat Country and Historic Hill.
- Hikes are offered every half hour beginning at 6 p.m. Last hike begins at 8 p.m.
- 6 p.m. hike is geared toward families with children 6 years and under.
- All children under 17 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Minimum parent:child ratio of 1:4 is required for each hike.
- Flashlights are not allowed on the hike.
- Fee is $5 per hiker 3 and up. Children 2 and under are free. Advance registration is recommended: (314) 646-4771. Tickets may also be purchased at the South Gate on the night of the event (if available). If purchasing Night Hike tickets in advance, we strongly encourage you to purchase event tickets in advance as well.
- Participants should be at the Night Hike meeting area at the Sea Lion Sound ticket booth (10) minutes before the start of the hike.
- There is a maximum of 20 participants per hike. If you miss your hike start time, you will only be allowed on a later hike if space permits, and only on the same night.
- Hikes last approximately 45 minutes.
- Eerily draped in cobwebs, the Conservation Carousel will be transformed to the not-so-spooky "Scare-ou-sel." (Additional fee $3/person. Note: Anywhere Plus Passes are valid at this event.)
- Need a break from the spooks for some thrilling fun? Ride the "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs" 4D Motion Simulator. (Additional fee $4/person. Note: Anywhere Passes are NOT valid at this event.)
Food and Souvenirs
- Taste what's brewing at Lakeside Cafe (see sidebar)
- Shop the Halloween boo-tique at Safari Gift Shop for souvenirs. Receive 10% (20% for members) off with a purchase of $25 or more.
This long-sleeve, white cotton shirt features a turtle as Michelangelo. Shirts available for purchase at select Zoo gift shops or by phone at (314) 646-4771, while supplies last.
Free parking is available on the South Lot on Wells Drive near US40/I-64. Click here for detailed directions.
Because Boo at the Zoo is a family-friendly event with young children who might be frightened, visitors over age 13 in costume are not allowed unless they are accompanying children. Specifically, our policy requires no adults can be wearing a mask or otherwise have their face covered with face-painting, etc.
SSM Cardinal Glennon Children's Medical Center, Mid America Chevy Dealers, Prairie Farms Dairy, Build-A-Bear Workshop® At The Zoo, K-Hits 96.3 and FM News Talk 97.1.