Do you want to:
- Have a valuable, hands-on work experience?
- Learn directly from Zoo professionals?
- Make a difference for endangered species and conservation issues?
The Saint Louis Zoo provides college students, recent graduates and individuals with prior college coursework an opportunity to learn about the Zoo's zoological operations while obtaining valuable, hands-on work experience and an understanding of the Zoo's role in research and conservation. Over 100 interns/externs contribute to the Zoo’s mission each year!
Internships and externships are available in:
- Animal Management Areas
- Non-Animal Related Areas
- Minimum age requirement is 18.
- Applicants need not be currently enrolled in college/university, but prior college coursework is required.
- Minimum of 20 hours per week for a minimum of six weeks for internships (for college credit).
- Minimum of 15 hours per week for a minimum of six weeks for externships (non-credit).
- All positions are unpaid with no housing provided.
- If the student’s college offers credit for internships, it is the student’s responsibility to arrange for the credit.
- Interns/externs can be employed on a part-time basis by the Zoo during their internship/externship; however, they cannot intern/extern and work in the same area.
Materials to upload with application:
- A letter of intent
- Current photo (to be used for I.D. card)
- Two letters of reference (educational or business) can be uploaded to the Application Form or e-mailed by the writers directly to Volunteer Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Winter/Spring Semester: November 1
- Summer: March 1
- Fall Semester: July 1
Questions about our application process? Contact Volunteer Services at email@example.com