Do you want to:
- Have a valuable, hands-on work experience?
- Learn directly from Zoo professionals?
- Make a difference for endangered species and conservation issues?
The Saint Louis Zoo provides college students, recent graduates and individuals with prior college coursework an opportunity to learn about the Zoo's zoological operations while obtaining valuable, hands-on work experience and an understanding of the Zoo's role in research and conservation. Over 100 interns/externs contribute to the Zoo’s mission each year!
Internships and externships are available in:
- Animal Management Areas
- Non-Animal Related Areas
- Minimum age requirement is 18.
- Applicants need not be currently enrolled in college/university, but prior college coursework is required.
- Minimum of 20 hours per week for a minimum of six weeks for internships (for college credit).
- Minimum of 15 hours per week for a minimum of six weeks for externships (non-credit).
- All positions are unpaid with no housing provided.
Materials to upload with application:
- A letter of intent
- Two letters of reference (educational or business) can be uploaded to the Application Form or e-mailed by the writers directly to Volunteer Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Winter/Spring Semester: November 1
- Summer: March 1
- Fall Semester: July 1
Frequently Asked Questions
Interns receive college credit for their experience, while externs do not. If the student’s college offers credit for internships, it is the student’s responsibility to arrange for the credit. We require a minimum of 20 hours per week for a minimum of six weeks for internships, and a minimum of 15 hours per week for a minimum of six weeks for externships.
No. All intern/extern positions are unpaid with no housing provided.
Interns/externs can be employed on a part-time basis by the Zoo during their internship/externship; however, they cannot intern/extern and work in the same area.
We do not accept internship/externship applications after the posted deadline. We do accept interns and externs each spring, summer and fall, so we encourage you to apply for a future semester.
Application materials are collected by Volunteer Services. Volunteer Services does not release submitted applications to hiring managers until the application deadline. After that date, applications are accessible to the hiring managers of the preferred areas indicated on your application. Qualified applicants will be interviewed and selected by curators or department managers. Processing time can take up to 8 weeks from the application deadline, as your application may be shared with several program areas (not only your first choice). All applicants will ultimately be notified of a decision by Volunteer Services.
Due to the volume of applications, emails and phone calls to Volunteer Services are discouraged as we are unable to check on application statuses. Thank you for your understanding.
Questions about our application process? Contact Volunteer Services at email@example.com