SCHEDULING A PROGRAM
Advance reservations and payment of any fees are required for all programs. (See below: section B “To Schedule,” numbers 3, 4 and 5.)
Please plan your schedule carefully, since it may be difficult to reschedule if your plans change. Please note that Zoo education programs are quite popular and are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
A. BEFORE SCHEDULING
• Review the programs appropriate for your grade level.
• Please note: Groups may register for only one classroom program and/or one guided tour per day.
• Check your school calendar. When is your spring break? Do you have special testing days? Groups who book programs to take place between December 3, 2018 and March 1, 2019 will receive a 15% discount off the listed program prices.
• Consider your travel plans. What time can you arrive at the Zoo? What time will you need to return to school? Groups arriving late will forfeit part or all of their program without a refund.
• Please note: A minimum of one adult chaperone per eight students is recommended for your Zoo visit. This is required for all educational tours.
• Adult group supervisors must remain with the students throughout all education programs, and are strongly encouraged for your entire visit. Please do not make student discipline our job.
• Please note: A maximum of two adult chaperones (one of whom must be the student's primary teacher) will be permitted in the classroom(s) with any given group, unless you reported that a student will be bringing an aide or paraprofessional with them. All other adults will need to wait elsewhere. If you have questions, please contact the registrars at (314) 646-4544, option #6.
• The minimum age for preschool programs is 3 years of age.
• If a group wishes to plan for a series of programs, we will be happy to discuss a tailored curriculum with you. We want to be your partner in maximizing the benefits of our programs and resources. For schools within the Zoo-Museum District (ZMD), up to three different classes/tours are provided at the discounted rate. For fourth and subsequent programs, we will charge “out of ZMD prices,” as indicated for each title.
B. TO SCHEDULE
1. Education Department Phone Numbers
Call (314) 646-4544, #6, to schedule classes and educational tours.
Call (314) 646-4614 to schedule or inquire about overnights.
Call (314) 646-4677 to schedule or inquire about outreach programs and distance learning.
2. Scheduling Hours
Program reservations can be made by phone, Monday - Friday, from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
3. Scheduling Dates
Programs for Fall/Winter (September - December 2018)
Scheduling on or after May 7, 2018.
Programs for Winter/Spring (January - Memorial Day, 2019)
Schedule on or after October 29, 2018.
4. Amount of Notice Required
A minimum of two months' notice is required for all programs if you want to pay by check. Programs scheduled between one to two months in advance, require full credit card payment at the time of scheduling. We are unable to schedule programs less than one month's notice. Please see E for information about refunds and transfers.
5. Information Needed When You Call
• School name, address, phone number
• Teacher or other adult in charge of the group
• Grade level and number of students
• Program choice and alternative choices
• Date and time requested and alternatives
• Credit card information if paying by credit card
• Teacher e-mail address (optional) if you would like to receive e-newsletters and postcards or participate in post-program online evaluation.
For groups scheduling at least two months in advance, an invoice will be sent promptly. Full payment is due one month from the invoice date. If your payment is not received within one month, your program may be canceled. For groups scheduling with less than two months' notice, (with a minimum of one months' notice), full credit card payment is required at the time of scheduling. Your reservation is not confirmed until complete payment is received. We are unable to schedule programs with less than one months' notice.
Fees for Overnight Programs
For schools, the fee is $1020 for up to 30 participants, students or adult, and $34 for each additional participant. Teachers and administrators are free! Maximum of 55 participants. A deposit of $340 is due 30 days after a program has been requested. The remaining total and a final number of participants are due 30 days prior to the program. Any program scheduled 2 months or less prior to the overnight will require full payment using a credit card at the time of booking.
Overnight programs will be cancelled if your payment has not been received 30 days prior to the overnight program.
D. AFTER PAYMENT
After your payment is processed, we will mail confirmation materials to you. It will include the date, time and program reserved for your group. If you paid with a credit card, your credit card receipt and a copy of the invoice(s) will be included with your confirmation.
Please double-check all information when you receive your confirmation.
Keep the confirmation, and bring it with you on the date of your program. Make copies, if necessary, for other teachers and chaperones.
Bus transportation guidelines will be mailed with your program confirmation. Please note that there is no bus parking on Zoo parking lots!
2. Pre- and Post-Visit Materials
Please visit our Library and Teacher Resource page for Zoocases kits you may be able to check out before and after you program.
3. We want to help make your Zoo visit a success.
Find out What to Know Before You Go, for valuable information on planning your visit.
Please notify the Education Department at (314) 646-4544, #6, immediately if you need to cancel. Another group may be able to take your place.
One Month Prior to Program:
A refund will be issued minus a $5 cancellation fee if you notify the Education Department at least one month prior to your program. There is a $5 cancellation fee per program.
Between ten business days and one month Prior to Program:
You are entitled to a 50% program fee refund if you notify the Education Department between ten business days and one month prior to your program date.
Less than ten business days Prior to Program:
There is no refund for groups that cancel with less than ten business days' notice.
Refunds for Overnight Programs:
For Overnights a refund minus a $145 cancellation fee will be issued if you notify the Education Department at least two weeks prior to your overnight. There is no refund for groups that cancel with less than two weeks' notice.
Please note: In the event that your school and/or the Zoo is closed the day of your program due to weather, we will try to reschedule your program or issue a full refund. That decision will be made the day of your program.
If you have ordered group tickets, please contact the Group Ticket desk separately from the Education Department, at (314) 646-4718 with any cancellations or questions regarding your group. Please note that Group Tickets does not provide refunds on any pre-paid tickets.
Program transfers must be requested a minimum of one month in advance and will be subject to availability. Transfers are determined by resource (space, instructor, etc.) availability. A $5 transfer fee will be charged per program for the first transfer date. A $10 transfer fee will be charged for additional transfers. Transfer fees must be paid with credit card at the time requested. We cannot accommodate same day or next day transfers.