SCHEDULING A PROGRAM
Advance reservations and payment of any fees are required for all programs. (See below: section B “To Schedule,” numbers 3, 4 and 5.)
Please plan your schedule carefully, since it may be difficult to reschedule if your plans change. Please note that Zoo education programs are quite popular and are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
A. BEFORE SCHEDULING
• Review the programs appropriate for your grade level.
• Please note: Groups may register for only one classroom program and/or one guided tour per day.
• Check your school calendar. When is your spring break? Do you have special testing days?
• Consider your travel plans. What time can you arrive at the Zoo? What time will you need to return to school? Groups arriving late will forfeit part or all of their program without a refund.
• If a group wishes to plan for a series of programs, we will be happy to discuss a tailored curriculum with you. We want to be your partner in maximizing the benefits of our programs and resources. For schools within the Zoo-Museum District (ZMD), up to three different classes/tours are provided at the discounted rate. For fourth and subsequent programs, we will charge “out of ZMD prices,” as indicated for each title.
• Please note: A minimum of one adult chaperone per eight students is recommended for your Zoo visit. This is required for all educational tours.
• Adult group supervisors must remain with the students throughout all education programs, and are strongly encouraged for your entire visit. Please do not make student discipline our job.
• Please note: The maximum group size is 25 students (30 maximum including adults), unless indicated.
• The minimum age for preschool programs is 3 years of age.
B. TO SCHEDULE
1. Education Department Phone Numbers
Call (314) 646-4544, #6, to schedule classes and educational tours.
Call (314) 646-4614 to schedule or inquire about overnights.
Call (314) 646-4754 to schedule or inquire about outreach programs and distance learning.
2. Scheduling Hours
Program reservations can be made by phone, Monday - Friday, from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
3. Scheduling Dates
Programs for Fall/Winter (September 2016 - January 2017)
Scheduling on or after May 2, 2016.
Programs for Spring 2017 (February - May 2017)
Schedule on or after October 24, 2016.
4. Amount of Notice Required
A minimum of eight weeks notice is required for all programs if you want to pay by check. Programs scheduled less than eight weeks, with a minimum of four weeks, require full credit card payment at the time of scheduling. We are unable to schedule programs less than four weeks away. Please see E for information about refunds and transfers.
5. Information Needed When You Call
• School name, address, phone number
• Teacher or other adult in charge of the group
• Grade level and number of students
• Program choice and alternative choices
• Date and time requested and alternatives
• Credit card information if paying by credit card
• Teacher e-mail address (optional) if you would like to receive e-newsletters and postcards or participate in post-program online evaluation.
For groups scheduling at least eight weeks in advance, an invoice will be sent promptly. Full payment is due 30 days from the invoice date. If your payment is not received within 30 days, your program may be canceled. For groups scheduling with less than eight weeks notice, (minimum four weeks), full credit card payment is required at the time of scheduling. Your reservation is not confirmed until complete payment is received.
Fees for Overnight Programs
The fee is $960 for up to 30 participants, students or adult, and $32 for each additional participant. Teachers and administrators are free! Maximum of 55 participants. A deposit of $320 is due 30 days after a program has been requested. The remaining total and a final number of participants are due 30 days prior to the program. Any program scheduled 30 days before the requested date will require full payment using a credit card.
Overnight programs will be cancelled if your payment has not been received 30 days prior to the overnight program.
D. AFTER PAYMENT
After your payment is processed, we will mail confirmation materials to you. It will include the date, time and program reserved for your group. If you paid with a credit card, your credit card receipt and a copy of the invoice(s) will be included with your confirmation.
Please double-check all information when you receive your confirmation.
Keep the confirmation, and bring it with you on the date of your program. Make copies, if necessary, for other teachers and chaperones.
Bus transportation guidelines will be mailed with your program confirmation.
2. Program Outlines, Pre- and Post-Visit Materials
Outlines and pre-and post-visit materials are prepared for many of our programs. If available, these will be mailed with your program confirmation.
3. We want to help make your Zoo visit a success.
Find out What to Know Before You Go, for valuable information on planning your visit.
Please notify the Education Department at (314) 646-4544, #6, immediately if you need to cancel. Another group may be able to take your place.
Four or More Weeks Prior to Program:
A refund will be issued minus a $5 cancellation fee per program if you notify the Education Department four weeks prior to your program.
Two - Four Weeks Prior to Program:
You will be issued a 50% refund if you notify the Education Department two - four weeks prior to your program date.
Less than Two Weeks Prior to Program:
There is no refund for groups that cancel with less than two weeks' notice.
Refunds for Overnight Programs
For Overnights a refund minus a $145 cancellation fee will be issued if you notify the Education Department at least two weeks prior to your overnight. There is no refund for groups that cancel with less than two weeks' notice.
Please note: In the event that your school and/or the Zoo is closed the day of your program due to weather, we will try to reschedule your program or issue a full refund.
Program transfers must be requested four weeks prior to your program date. Transfers are based on space availability. A $5 transfer fee will be charged per program for the first transfer date. A $10 transfer fee will be charged for additional transfers. Transfer fees must be paid with credit card at the time requested. We cannot accommodate same day or next day transfers.