All volunteer programs are on hold until further notice. Please visit our virtual conservation learning pages for digital resources and virtual programs.
Make a Difference! Join the Fun!
Do you love animals and people? Are you passionate about wildlife and wild habitats? Would you like to be a part of the Saint Louis Zoo's efforts to help our visitors and the greater community understand and appreciate nature? Do you have a little time on your hands? Then you might want to consider becoming a Saint Louis Zoo docent.
- Teaches Zoo visitors about animals and conservation
- Leads educational tours
- Conducts classes on and off Zoo grounds
- Helps design programs and classes
- Interprets wildlife, ecosystems and conservation to visitors on Zoo grounds
- Participates in continuing education courses taught by Education Department staff, Zoo curators and zookeepers
- May choose additional training to present animals at Children's Zoo and school programs
- Satisfaction -- you help others understand the natural world
- Friendship -- you meet and work with others who share your interests
- Knowledge -- you learn new skills and receive extensive training in zoology and conservation
- Fun and excitement -- you are a part of a world-class Zoo!
- Visit our volunteer section for contact information.
- Attend the Zoo's 1-day information volunteer training session
- Interview with the Docent Recruitment Committee
- Complete docent basic training
You may shadow a docent by accompanying him/her while they work.
Docents must be 18 years of age or older and able to volunteer a minimum of 62 hours per year.
On Becoming a Zookeeper
Some people become Zoo docents because they love working with animals. If you're seriously interested in knowing what it takes to be a zookeeper, you might want to click on So You Want to be a Zookeeper?. Here you can find out how to prepare for a career in zoos, aquaria, and other wildlife organizations.
Want to join the team of nearly 200 dedicated men and women docents at the Saint Louis Zoo? Contact the Manager of Docents and Interpreters at (314) 646-4548 or the Docent Administrative Assistant at (314) 646-4723.