Have you ever met a penguin, fed a giant tortoise, trained a sea lion?
Your group can share an experience like none other: behind the scenes at the Saint Louis Zoo. Get a peek at what it's like to be a zookeeper. See the animals up close and personal. Each tour provides the enthralling, breathtaking experience of seeing the world's dramatic wildlife up close. This is a great opportunity for groups of all sizes and interests.
Don't wait - book your tour today!
Behind-the-Scenes Tours can be combined with your corporate or private event, or with extra amenities, such as tickets to the Zooline Railroad, Children's Zoo, Adventure Passes and more!
School groups at high school level and above are welcome to participate in Behind-the-Scenes tours, however space is limited. Call Group Tour Agent for school group accommodations.
What to know before you book!
- Tours need to be scheduled at least 3 weeks in advance due to various animal considerations and availability. Tours do not have set dates to allow for better scheduling flexibility, and there is limited availability. Call Tour Agent for details. Please Note: Due to popularity some tours can fill up months in advance.
- Most tours are available year-round and in all weather conditions.
- Payment must be received at least 5 business days after notification of tour approval.
- The Saint Louis Zoo reserves the right to cancel any tour due to unforeseen circumstances. The Zoo will contact you to reschedule your tour.
- Behind-the-Scenes Tours are non-refundable; however, if it becomes necessary to reschedule your tour for another date, you may do so by calling at least 48 hours before the tour without incurring any additional charges. Tours cancelled with less than 48 hours notice will have 30 days to reschedule and may incur a $25 rescheduling fee. No refunds or rescheduling opportunities will be given for no call/no shows.
Tour Rules and Regulations:
- For safety reasons, children must be accompanied by an adult. For most tours, children should be at least 8 years old.
- These tours are not recommended for children under the age of 1.
- All tours are walking tours. No transportation provided.
- Please note, some tours take place in temperature controlled environments, or outside - please dress accordingly.
- Closed-toe shoes are required for all tours.
- Tours are not guaranteed to be private, unless your group fills the maximum capacity.
- Due to the unpredictability of animals, tour experiences may vary.
- All participants should be aware of Zoo services and policies and must abide by staff instructions at all times.
- For the safety of our animals, staff and tour guests- photos are not permitted in all behind-the-scenes areas.Your animal care staff will identify areas during the tour where photos are allowed.
We welcome individuals with special needs.
- Please note that while all of our public spaces and visitor amenities are fully accessible, some of the behind-the-scenes areas visited through our tour program may not be.
- Please notify the Tour Agent prior to booking if there is any physical, cognitive or behavioral needs within your group so our staff can be prepared to make any reasonable accommodations.
- We thank you in advance for understanding that in compliance with best practices for zoo animal welfare as well as quarantine protocols outlined by federal regulations and the Association of Zoo and Aquarium accreditation standards, service animals are not permitted in our behind-the-scenes animal areas.
Book A Tour
We require reserving at least three weeks in advance. To give your group a truly unique experience, please fill out the form below or contact our Group Tours Agent at (314) 781-0900 ext. 4840.